Restorations 2026

RESTORATION AND STUDY OF THE POLICHROME WOODEN SARCOPHAGUS OF AMENIRDIS (CASE AND LID)

9th century B.C. 22nd Dynasty

The sarcophagus, which still contained the mummy, became part of the Egyptian and Gregorian Museum’s collection (founded by Pope Gregory XVI in 1839) in 1841. Both the case and the lid are constructed from longs planks of sycamore fig wood and the entire sarcophagus is painted with iconographies that grant the deceased an afterlife.

The sarcophagus belonged to a priestess called Amenirdis who was probably from Thebes.

More details in the Wishbook 2026: https://media.patronsvaticanmuseums.org/Production/media/attachments/multimedia/document/Wishbook_2026_NO_AP_low.pdf